Sign up for your PTA Membership today!
February 3, 2020
Dear Fifth Grade Families,
The 5th Grade Event Committee is holding a competition between the four fifth grade homerooms. It will run from March 2-13. It is called PENNY WARS and involves the collection of coins, turned into a competition. This is a fundraiser to support the Fifth Grade Event, to be held on June 5, 2020, with a rain date of June 12. We are asking for your support. The procedure and rules are below. If you have any questions regarding this event, please contact Karen Whitaker 732-284-1108, please do not contact the main office or the teachers.
The competition will work as follows:
· The competition will run from March 2-13
· Students will collect change at home with their parents and bring into school
· Please sort change at home, separating pennies into one bag and nickels, dimes and quarters into another. NO OTHER COINS OR PAPER MONEY WILL BE ACCEPTED.
· A jug will be placed in each homeroom.
· Pennies count as single points toward winning.
· Silver coins count as points taken away from overall totals (nickel 5 points, dime 10 points, quarter 25 points.)
· Students will place their pennies into their own homeroom’s jug.
· Students will place the silver coins in the collection jugs of opposing homerooms, after strategizing with their classmates and teacher.
· At the end of two weeks, the class with the most points will be declared the winner, and the class with the second highest point total will be the runner up.
· The winning class and the runner up will each receive a special prize.
· The jugs will be collected at the end of the first week and a tally of the total number of points for each class will be given to the teachers on Monday, March 9 to allow for more strategizing during the second week of the competition.
· All competition activities (placing coins in jars) can only be performed when the teacher allows.
· No one can REMOVE coins from any jar at any time, this will cause a disqualification.
So gather up your spare change, check all the couch cushions and coat pockets and help your kids get excited about this fun and educational competition!
Fifth Grade Event Committee:
Heather McGrath, Karen Whitaker, Lizzy Yeserski, Michele Ellis, Melissa Russo, Heather Brett,